r/DonaldTrump‘s Top 45 Accomplishments (full list): https://www.reddit.com/r/donaldtrump/wiki/top_45
★ Accomplishment #42 ★
Assistance for Historically Black Colleges and Universities
Whitehouse Initiative on HCBUs
- On February 28th 2017, President Trump signed an Executive Order on The White House Initiative to Promote Excellence and Innovation at Historically Black Colleges and Universities. This moved the Initiative on HCBUs directly into the Whitehouse (previously being in the Dept of Education), as well as established a Presidential Board of Advisors for the subject.
- On March 14 2018, President Trump and Secretary DeVos issues a Full Forgiveness of HBCU Hirricane Relief Loans, including loans taken as far back as Katrina and Rita.
- On August 15, 2019, President Trump’s Department of Justice lifted funding restrictions on capital finance for faith-based HBCUs.
- On April 30, 2020, President Trump and Secretary DeVos set aside nearly $1.4 billion in CARES Act Relief Funds to HBCUs, Minority Serving Institutions, and Colleges and Universities Serving Low-Income Students
- At the same time they were helping HBCUs with CARES Act funding, President Trump was demanding that more well-off schools (like Harvard) return their portion of these funds (which they did).
Harvard should give back the money now. Their whole “endowment” system should be looked at! https://t.co/LcjOcsnCWT
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 22, 2020
- On December 19, 2019, President Trump signed into law the bi-partisan FUTURE Act, which set aside mandatory and permeant funding for HBCUs and minority-serving institutions, as well as made FAFSA funding and Pell Grants more available to them.
submitted by /u/realAmericanPower